.

Artful Artist: Charles Demuth, Numbers


Number design art (math connection)

Artist: Charles Demuth

Background on Charles Demuth and the painting: The Figure 5 in Gold

Read poem by William Carlos Williams (The Great Figure) who inspired the art piece. Alert students to the focal point (the #5) and the use of colors. Have students think about a number between 5-10, have them think about why this number that they chose is significant, then show sample piece: 7’s, I chose 7’s because it is a lucky number, direct attention to the piece, I wrote the number 7 out in words, I split the background into 7 portions, I used 7 colors, I outlined the focal 7 in black Sharpie, I have 7-7’s, I have 7 circles. These are ideas the students can use in their piece too.

Students are to use crayons or pencil crayons. Black Sharpie and white paper.

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010